Profile:Dr. A.K. Enamul Haque
Dr. Enamul Haque is currently working as a Professor of Economics in East West University. He is a distinguished expert on Natural Resources Economics, Climate Change, Environmental Economics, Food and Agricultural Policy and Trade, and capacity building. He has long experience in teaching and research in the fields of climate change, food and agricultural policy and trade. He worked with different national and international organizations, including the World Bank, IUCN, Save the Children, IFC, SANDEE, SANEI, UNDP and GIZ.
Dr. Enamul Haque completed his PhD in Natural Resource Economics and M.Sc in Agricultural Economics from University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada. Before that, he obtained his MSS and BSS from University of Chittagong. Dr. Haque had actively contributed towards capacity development in Bangladesh as well as in the South Asian region through his advisory roles in SANDEE.
Professor of Economics, East West University, Dhaka, Bangladesh (2014- to date)
Director (Honorary), Asian Center for Development, Bangladesh (2012 to date)
Director (Honorary), Economic Research Group, Dhaka (2004 to date)
Director (Academic), Insight Institute of Learning, Dhaka (Nov 2013 – to date)
Executive Director, Economic Research Group, Dhaka (2007-2012)
Professor of Economics, United International University, Dhaka, School of Business and Economics (2008 – to 2014)
Professor of Economics, East West University, Dhaka (2004-2008)
Professor of Economics, North South University Dhaka, (1996-2004)
Dean School of Business, Bangladesh Open University, Gazipur (1993-1996)
Assistant Professor of Economics, Department of Economics, University of Chittagong Chittagong, Bangladesh (1984-1993)
– Kazi Abrar Hossain, Syed A Basher, A.K. Enamul Haque, “Quantifying the Impact of Ramadan on Global Raw Sugar Prices”, MPRA Paper No. 75941, posted 2 January 2017,
– Shahidur R. Khandker, Hussain A. Samad, Zubair K.M. Sadeque, Mohammed Asaduzzaman, Mohammad Yunus, and A.K. Enamul Haque, “Surge in Solar-Powered Homes: Experience in Off-Grid Rural Bangladesh” By Directions in Development Series Washington, DC: World Bank, 2014
– A.K.E. Haque, Z.H. Khan, M. Nepal, and Priya Shyamsundar, “Red Wells or Green Wells and Does it Matter? Examining Household Use of Arsenic Contaminated Water in Bangladesh,Environment and Development Economics” Essays in Honour of Sir Partha Dasgupta, Edited by Scott Barrett, Karl-Göran Mäler, and Eric S. Maskin, Oxford University Press, London, 2014 (April) ISBN: 978-0-19-967785-6
– Asaduzzaman, M; Haque, A.K. Enamul; Islam, K M Nabiul et al; 2013; “Assessing the Risk of Loss and Damage Associated with the Adverse Effects of Climate Change in Bangladesh”, International Center for Climate Change and Development (ICCCAD), Bangladesh.
– Miah, M Monayem, Haque, A.K. Enamul, Hossain, Tanvir M.B,; Hossain, Sahadat, and Rahman, Md. Sadique, 2013, “Policy Options for Supporting Agricultural Diversification in Bangladesh”, A research report published by BARI and UIU with support from FAO and NFPCSP. Dhaka.
– Akter, Sonia; Brander, Luke; Mahmud, Sakib; Haque, A.K. Enamul, and Brouwer, Roy; “The environmental and social impacts of flood defenses in rural Bangladesh” in Nature’s Wealth: The Economics of Ecosystem Services, edited by Pieter Van Beukering, Elissaios Papyrakis, Jetske Bouma and Roy Brouwer, Cambridge University Press: London.
– Kumar, Kavi, K.S., Kamal Karunogoda, Enamul Haque, L. Venkotachelam, Girish, “Addressing Long-Term Challenges to Food Security and Rural Livelihoods in South Asia” Global Development Network (GDN): New Delhi, 2013.
– Haque, A.K. Enamul, “Reducing the Cost of Climate Adaptation using Stakeholder-based Cost Benefit Analysis”, IIED: London, 2013.
– Haque, A.K. Enamul, “South Asian Economy in 2060: Challenges Ahead”, South Asia 2060- envisioning regional futures, edited by Adil Najam and Moeed Yousuf, Anthem Press, NY-London-Delhi, 2013
– Shamim Shakur, A. K. Enamul Haque “An Input-Output Analysis with an Environmentally Adjusted Agricultural and Forestry Sector in Bangladesh” Journal of Sustainable Development, Vol. 5, No. 3, March 2012, ISSN 1913-9063 (Print) ISSN 1913-9071 (Online), Canadian Center of Science and Education.
– Monayem A. Miah., A. K.Enamul Haque, S. Hossain 2011, “Economic impact of climate change on wheat productivity in Bangladesh: A Ricardian approach” in Agriculture Face To Recent Changes And Dynamics: Pathways To Sustainability edited by Mohamed Behnassi, Shabbir A. Shahid, Nazia Mintz-Habib, Springer, Netherlands.
– Haque, A.K. Enamul, M N Murty, Priya Shyamsundar 2011 (edited), “Environmental Valuation in South Asia”, Cambridge University Press, New Delhi/London
– Haque, A.K. Enamul, Zakir Hossain Khan, 2011 “Red Wells, Green Wells and the Costs of Arsenic Contamination in Bangladesh” in Environmental Valuation in South Asia, edited by A.K. Enamul Haque, M N Murty, and Priya Shyamsundar, Cambridge University Press, UK and India.
– ADB, Adapting to Climate Change – strengthening the climate resilience of the water sector infrastructure in Khulna, Bangladesh, Asian Development Bank, Manila: Philippines. 2011
– Miah, M A Monayem, Islam, S M.F., and Haque, A.K. Enamul, “Impact of fallow period in Shifting Cultivation on Soil Erosion and Farm Revenue” Journal of Agriculture and Environment Science, Vol 1, No 2, 2010.
– Haque, A.K. Enamul; Alam Khurshed; et al. “Study 4 – Socio Economic Scenarios of Khulna City under Climate Change 2030-2050”, in Strengthening the Resilience of the Water Sector in Khulna to Climate Change – Final Report, a Technical Assistance Consultant’s Report by Institute of Water Modelling, Dhaka Bangladesh and Alterra, Netherlands, 2011.
– Haque, A.K. Enamul, 2009, “Value Enhancement through CSR” Marketing Practices in Developing Economy – cases from South Asia, edited by Ruby Roy Dholakia, Syed Ferhat Anwar and Khalid Hasan, New Delhi:PHI Learning Private Limited. Pp265-271.
– “Economic valuation of flood risk exposure and reduction in a severely flood prone developing country” Roy Brouwer, Sonia Akter, Luke Brander and A.K. Enamul. Haque Environment and Development Economics, Volume 14, Issue 03, Jun 2009, pp 397-417
– “Living with Disasters – Children of Bangladesh and Climate Change”, Country paper of Save the Children UK, 2008
– “Nature Based Tourism in Bangladeshi – a study of the economics of ecotourism”, published by IUCN Bangladesh and funded by Nishorgo Project of USAID 2008.
– “Rich Resources, Poor People – the paradox of living in Tanguar Haor”, Baseline study on the livelihood of the people, IUCN Bangladesh, funded by SDC 2008.
– Haque, A.K. Enamul, “Does Afforestation Ensure Sustainability” – a study of haor in Bangladesh’ published in Promise, trust, and evolution: managing the commons of South Asia edited by By Rucha Ghate, N. S. Jodha, Pranab Mukhopādhay , Oxford University Press, London.
– Haque, A.K. Enamul, M Behroj Jalil and Farha Naz, State of Corporate Governance in Bangladesh – Analysis of Public Limited Companies- Financial, Non-Financial Institutions and State Owned Enterprises, Working paper No 2/2007, Center for Research and Training, East West University, Dhaka, Bangladesh
– Haque, A.K. Enamul, and Zohir, Sajjad, 2007 “Oil Price Increase – an assessment of impacts and policy recommendations”,
– Haque, A.K. Enamul, Impact of Oil Price increase on the Economy of Bangladesh – BANSIM II, Economic Research Group, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
– Brouwer, R., Aftab, S., Brander, L, and Haque, E. (2007). Socio-Economic Vulnerability and Adaptation to Environmental Risk: A Case Study of Climate Change and Flooding in Bangladesh, Risk Analysis, Vol 27, No 2, p313-326.
– Haque, A.K. Enamul; Karim, Azreen; and Abdallah, Wahid, “Expanding Trade under a Free Trade Regime: Issues Related to Market Access”, East West University Journal, 2007, Vol 1, No 1.
– Haque, A.K. Enamul, Chaudhury, M and Abbasi, Parvez Karim, “Demand for Water in DWASA Zones (2005-2030)”, Research Monograph, Institute of Water Modelling, Dhaka. 2007
– Haque, A.K. Enamul “Assessment of Public Expenditure in Education: Achieving Gender Parity” Who Gets What – A Gender Analysis of Public Expenditure in Bangladesh –edited by Barbara Evers and Kaniz Siddique, United Press Limited, Dhaka, 2006
– V. Santhakumar, A.K. Enamul Haque and Rabindranath Bhattacharya, “An economic analysis of mangroves in South Asia” Economic Development in South Asia, edited by Mohsin S. Khan. Reprint. New Delhi, Tata McGraw-Hill Pub., 2005, viii, 437 p., ISBN 0-07-058811-2.
– A.K. Enamul Haque, Sonia Aftab, M.Zakir Hossain Kahan, “Adoption of Arsenic-Safe Drinking Water Practice in Rural Bangladesh” Journal of Bangladesh Studies, ISSN 1529-0905, Volume-8 (2006)
– Haque, A.K. Enamul, and Sakib Mahmud, 2003, Economic Policy Paper: Access to Finance for SMEs – Problems and Remedies, Dhaka Chamber of Commerce and Industries, Dhaka; published by CDDI and CIPE
– Sanitary and Phyto-Sanitary Barriers to Trade and its Impact on the Environment: The Case of Shrimp Farming in Bangladesh – Summary – Jun 25, 2003, Trade Knowledge Network, International Institute for Sustainable Development, Switzerland. 2003
– A.K. Enamul Haque and Hollis Price, “James Mirrlees (1936- ): An Authority of Information Economics and a Laureate of 1996”, Frontiers of Economics, edited by Abu NM Wahid, Greenwood Press, Connecticut, USA 2002
– A.K. Enamul HAQUE, “Negotiating Exploration Agreement – a game theoretic approach”, The Jahangirnagar Economic Review, vol 13, No 1, June 2002. A Journal published by the Department of Economics, Jahangirnagar University, Savar. Dhaka Bangladesh.
– Bangladesh Environment Outlook – 2001 (Co-Editor). Contributors include Dr Jamilur Reza Choudhury, Dr. Rejaur Rahman, Dr. Abdul Hamid, Dr. ABM Badruzzaman, Dr. Ashraf Ali, Dr. Depasis Bhadra, Dr. Islam M Faisal, Dr. Mahbub Ullah, Mr. Rumi Shammin, and Mr. Munzurul Hannan Khan
– PARIBESH SHABDAKOSH -Lexicon of environmental words. Edited by Prof.Ainun Nishat, Mahfuz Ullah, Dr. A. K. Enamul Haque, Maniruzzaman Khan. Published by Mahfuz Ullah, Secretary General, Centre for Sustainable Development (CFSD). Second Edition December 2001.
– A.K. Enamul Haque, Islam M Faisal, Abdul Bayes, “ Health Costs of Pollution from Hazaribagh Tanneries”, The Jahangirnagar Economic Review, vol 11, No 1, June 2000. A Journal published by the Department of Economics, Jahangirnagar University, Savar. Dhaka Bangladesh.
– A.K. Enamul Haque “Strengthening of Financial Capacities for Promoting Sustainable Development in Bangladesh” in National Forum on Multi-Stakeholder Sustainability Planning in Bangladesh, published by IUCNpp138-150 – Proceedings of the Conference of National Forum on Sustainable Planning in Bangladesh.
– A.K. Enamul Haque with Dr. Islam M Faisal, Md Rumi Shammin and Dr. Ainun Nishat, “Impact on Biodiversity and Ecosystem” in The 1998 Flood: Impact on Environment of Dhaka City edited by Ainun Nishat, Mohammed Reazuddin, Raquibul Amin and A R Khan, Department of Environment, Ministry of Environment and Forests, and IUCN, Bangaldesh Office.
– Environmental Economics in Bangladesh, Edited by Qazi Kholiquzzaman Ahmad, Ainun Nishat, Quamrul Islam Chowdhury, A. K. Enamul Haque, Aminur Rahman. ISBN 981-31-0171-6, 2000
– Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics, Bangladesh Compendium of Environment Statistics, 1997, co-authored this document for the Government of Bangladesh, February 1999.
– Ainun Nishat, Mahfuz Ullah, A.K. Enamul HAQUE, Moniruzzaman Khan, (edited), Poribesh Shabdokosh [Lexicon of Environmental Terms], Published by Centre for Sustainable Development, February 1998.
– M. Shamsher Ali, A.K. Enamul Haque, & Greville Rumble,”The Bangladesh Open University: Mission and Promise, Open Learning, The Journal of Open and Distance Learning, Vol 12, No 2., 1997 pp12-28.
– Irshad Kamal Khan and A.K. Enamul Haque, Biastik Arthanity (micro economics), School of Business, Bangladesh Open University, 1995 (a textbook for Diploma in Management students of BOU).
– A.K. Enamul Haque, “Industrial Policy and Regional Industrial Structure of Bangladesh – a regional analysis” – (in Bangla) Bangladesh Journal of Political Economy, Vol. XIII No.1 pp 444-452, A journal of the Bangladesh Economic Association., July 1995.
– A.K. Enamul Haque, “Cost effectiveness of distance education – a case study of Bangladesh Open University,” One World Many Voices – Quality in Open and Distance Learning, Vol 1, pp-419-422, Edited by David Sewart, A collection of selected conference papers, ICDE and OU publication, London: 1995 June.
– A.K. Enamul Haque and Philip J. Shaw, “Psycho graphic Segmentation of the Markets – its use in Market Research and Public Policy,” Chittagong University Studies, Social Science, Vol 13, No 1. 1992 (published in 1994) pp 99-107.
– A.K. Enamul Haque, “The Chittagong Export Processing Zone: Has it contributed to the industrialization of Bangladesh?” Bangladesh Political Economy, Journal of the Bangladesh Economic Association, 1993 Vol 12, No 1. pp. 275-288.
– G. Fox and A.K. Enamul Haque, “A Test of the Under investment, Myopia and Commodity Bias Hypotheses for U.S. Agricultural Research”, Agricultural Economics, 1990, 4:209-228.
– G. Fox, A.K. Enamul Haque and G. Brinkman, “Product Market Distortions and the Returns to Federal Laying-Hen Research in Canada: Reply and Further Results”, Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics, 1990, 38(2):351-356.
– A.K. Enamul Haque, G. Fox and George Brinkman, “Product Market Distortions and the Returns to Federal Laying-Hen Research in Canada”, Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics, 1989, 37(1):29-46.
– Short Term Consultant to guide, supervise and confirmation of the completion report on Impact Evaluation of Urban Road Project in Bangladesh.
– National consultant for Cost Benefit Analysis -in the Strengthening Project Implementation and Management Systems (SPIMS) project of JICA to the Ministry of Planning, Government of Bangladesh
– Member of the Joint Study Group of BCIM on Environment and Sustainable Development – engaged in developing a synthesis report on environment by Bangladesh, China, India and Myanmar.
– Member of the Advisory Board of the Journal of the Indian Society for Ecological Economics (INSEE): Ecology, Economy and Society
– Academy for Planning and Development, Government of Bangladesh – Guest lecturer in Economics, Environmental Economics, Project Design, Evaluation, etc.
– Director, Asian Center for Development
– Faculty Advisor and SANDEE Fellow, SANDEE, South Asian Network for Development and Environmental Economists, 2003- to date
– ADB TA 8084: Supporting Implementation of Bangladesh Climate Change Strategy and Action Plan (BCCSAP), as an international expert on Institutional Capacity Building with AFC International GmbH, Germany
– GIZ Green Climate Fund Readiness Support Program as Team Leader, with AFC International GmbH, Germany
– IPAC Trainer, Regular resource person at Training program on “Economics of Conservation” for Forest and Fisheries Officials
– ADB Financial and Economic Expert, Assessing the Economics of Waste Management
– Member, Syndicate, Shahjalal University of Science and Technology
– Independent Director, WZPDCO, West Zone Power Development Company, Bangladesh
– Utsho Bangladesh, Treasurer, an NGO working for child rights with children of the slum in Bangladesh
– BICF-IFC, Dhaka, Task Team Leader – Small Grants and Academic Partnership Programs.
– Government of Bangladesh, Member of National Adaptation Program of Action (NAPA) Sub-Committee on Food Security, Livelihood, Gender and Local Governance
– Member Secretary of the National Expert Team on evaluating the impact of Magurchhara gas field blowup.
– Executive Committee Member, Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics
– National Team Leader of the Expert Group on drafting the National Conservation Policy of the Government of Bangladesh
– Reviewer- Journal of Environment and Development Economics, Rice Journal
– Expert Member, International Team of Experts on Conservation of Tigers, Ministry of Wildlife, People’s Republic of China
– Expert Member, Panel of experts of the Asia Pacific Forum for Environment and Development (APFED) to draft the declaration for Asia and Pacific Countries on the World Summit on Sustainable Development, Johannesburg, South Africa
– Member, World Commission on Environment and Social Policy – a Geneva Based IUCN Special Committee
– Member, Research Advisory Panel, South Asian Association for Development and Environmental Economics, SANDEE – a SAARC based organization funded by WB
– Member Secretary – CPD’s Panel of Experts on the Committee on Environment to prepare a Pre-Election Policy Brief – 2001
Dr. A.K. Enamul Haque
Member, Governing Body,
Economic Research Group (ERG).