Economic Research Group (ERG) is a not-for-profit organization established for promoting education and research with a view to improving economic justice in society. ERG seeks to bridge the gap between academic research and policy analysis within the context of Bangladesh and other countries of South and Southeast Asia. It intends to extend the frontier of knowledge on developing economies by undertaking analytical research and promoting exchange of views on contemporary issues.
Founded under Section 28 of the Companies Act of 1994 (in Bangladesh), ERG plans to remain committed to the rules of transparency, and to democratic values. Activities of ERG are guided by the broad principle of promoting socially responsible market economy. In particular, ERG aims at analyzing policy prescriptions of the governments of Bangladesh and in South Asia to improve their effectiveness and to ensure long-term efficiency of resource utilization.
ERG represents a unique concept in institution building. It recognizes the intellectual independence of individual members and respects their intellectual property rights. ERG brings within its umbrella a group of people who are working around the world to foster a common goal of ensuring quality research and policy analysis for the South and Southeast Asian region. By advocating quality research and education within its umbrella, ERG seeks to provide for a better future by creating knowledge that can be used for common benefit of all.
The process of undertaking research and/or imparting training is perceived to be important determinant of the quality produced. ERG emphasizes on networking across generations, agencies, space (countries) and disciplines. It also aspires to reduce the size of wasteful intermediaries and encourage ownership that is conducive to promotion of quality.
ERG aims at undertaking activities around five core programs. These are:
- Research on selected policy issues.
- Monitoring Economic and Environmental conditions of Bangladesh and the South and Southeast Asian region to help decision-makers in improving market efficiency and promoting development.
- Networking for Capacity Building in the field of economic research and education. It includes programs to support local research initiatives, provide guidance to young researchers in developing proposals and undertake research within the ERG umbrella, develop a coordinated database and support educationalists and researchers resident abroad in effective packaging and delivery of their services for the development in this region
- Promoting knowledge of economics of developing countries through publication of research monographs, books, and journals
- Organizing short course/training on specific themes relating to analytical tools for economic analysis, research methodology and on economic analysis of contemporary issues